Our Jiri to Everest base camp trek follows the traditional route taken by the early Everest expeditions and still serves as main artery to the roadless Sagarmatha (Everest) region. Known as the Solu-Khumbu it is the home of the Sherpas…
|Jiri to Everest Base Camp Trek|
|March - May/Sept - Nov|
|Hotel and Tea house|
|Group Size||:||Min-1 Max-14|
Our Jiri to Everest base camp trek follows the traditional route taken by the early Everest expeditions and still serves as main artery to the roadless Sagarmatha (Everest) region. Known as the Solu-Khumbu it is the home of the Sherpas. This relatively tiny society of 8,000 people is the best known and most admired of all Nepal's ethnic groups. According to their oral history Sherpas migrated to high valleys south of Mt. Everest from eastern Tibet about 450 years ago, hence the name Sharpa, "peoples of the Himalaya." Many families along this route have converted their homes into trekkers' lodges catering to foreign trekkers.
- Day 01– Arrival in Kathmandu (1,345 m).Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 02– Drive to Jiri (187 km) by local Bus – 8 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 03– Trek to Bhandar (2,200 m) – 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 04– Trek to Sete (2,645 m) – 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 05– Trek to Junbensi (2,675 m) – 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 06– Trek to Nunthala (2,440 m) – 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 07 – Trek to Kharikhola (2,020 m) -5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 08– Trek to Puiyan (2,700 m) – 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 09– Trek to Phakding (2,646 m) – 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 10– Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441 m) – 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 11– Namche Bazaar acclimatization day. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 12– Trek to Phorste Thanga (3,680 m) – 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 13– Trek to Machherma (4,470 m) – 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 14– Trek to Gokyo (4,790 m) – 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 15– Trek to Gokyo Ri (5,483 m) and back to Gokyo – 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 16– Trek to Thangna (4,500 m) – 4 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 17– Cross the Cho La Pass (5,300 m), then trek to Dzongla (4,710 m) – 7 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 18– Trek to Lobuche (4,910 m ) – 4 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 19– Trek to Everest Base Camp (5,365 m) then back to Gorak Shep – 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 20 – Hike up to Kala Patthar (5,555 m) early in the morning and trek down to Pheriche (4,200 m) – 6 hrs. Overnight at a Guesthouse.
- Day 21– Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441 m) – 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 22– Trek to Lukla (2,804 m) – 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 23– Morning flight back to Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.
- Day 24– Transfer for your final flight departure
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop off service by private vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing accommodation in Kathmandu; Breakfast included.
- All your standard Meals during the trek (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner).
- Lodges, Guesthouses accommodation during the trek
- Licensed English speaking guide.
- Porters (2 trekkers:1 porter)
- Food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment and medicine for all staff.
- Everest National Park permits and TIMS permit for trekking.
- Down Jacket and sleeping bag (which need to be returned after the trek).
- Airfare from Lukla - Kathmandu including airport departure tax in Lukla airport.
- Surface transfer from Kathmandu to Jiri by Public Bus
- All our government taxes, vat, tourist service charges.
- Lunch and dinner whilst in Kathmandu.
- Travel insurance which covers emergency Rescue and Evacuation.
- Int`l Airfare and airport departure tax.
- Nepal entry visa; you can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. (Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 30 days can be obtained by paying US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 90 days can be obtained by paying US $ 100. Please bring 2 copies of passport size photos).
- Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks.
- Personal trekking Equipment (Click the trekking equipment tab).
- Tips for trekking staff and driver (Tipping is expected).
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on 'Cost Includes' section.
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1,350m/4,428ft)
- Welcome to the Himalayan kingdom of Nepal. You will be welcomed by our representative on your arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu. Later, you will be transferred to your hotel. Check into the hotel. Stay overnight at hotel.
- Day 02 - Drive to Jiri by Public Bus (187 km) - 8 hrs
- A difficult but scenic full-day public bus ride up the Sun-Koshi river valley to the town of Jiri, the trail-head of the Everest trek and our first camp.
- Day 03 - Trek to Bhandar (2,200 m) - 6 hrs
- We begin the walk with a climb to the ridge-top at 2,400 m after which the trail drops down to Shivalaya (1,800 m). After reaching Shivalaya, we make another climb to Sangbadanda (2,150 m), Kosaribas (2,500 m), then to Bhanjyang, a pass at Bhandar (2,200m). We can possibly take a detour between Sangbadanda and Bhandar to visit Thodung at 3,090 m.
- Day 04 - Trek to Sete (2,645 m) - 6 hrs
- The trail drops down to the Likhu Khloa and crosses the river at 1,580 m, and onto Kenja. Now we make the long climb to Lamjura hill. The first part of the climb is quite steep, whence it traverses to Sete, and an abandoned stupa at 2,575 m. We continue through the villages inhabited by Sherpas and have both Nepali and Sherpa names.
- Day 05 - Trek to Junbensi (2,675 m) - 6 hrs
- Trek begins with a long but gradual climb to the Lamjura pass at 3,530m. There you are rewarded with frost and often snow along the trail in winter or with blooming rhododendrons in the spring. The pass is the highest point between Jiri and Namche Bazaar, there you have a good lunch stop. From the top you descend to Tragdobuk (2,860 m), then to the pretty Sherpa village of Junbesi (2,675 m).
- Day 06 - Trek to Nunthala (2,440 m) - 5 hrs
- We climb to a ridge at 3,080 m from where Everest slowly begins to appear before your eyes. From Junbesi the trail leads to the hospital and the airstrip at Phaplu as well as the district headquarter and a small market at Salleri. Leaving Salung, we make our way descending to the Ringmo Khola at 2,650 m followed by a small climb to Ringmo. We see an apple orchard at this spot; the Apple House offers apple juice, pie and rakshi (rice spirit). The trail from Ringmo to Namche Bazaar was built in the 1980’s and avoids many of the steep descents and ascents of the older route. Then we reach Trakshindo pass (3,071 m), then the trail drops down pass the monastery of the same name, on to Nuntala at 2,440 m.
- Day 07- Trek to Kharikhola (2,020 m) -5 hrs
- The trail continues descending to the Dudh Koshi where the trail then climbs through several Sherpa villages, terraced fields and forests to Khari Khola (2,020 m).
- Day 08- Trek to Puiyan (2,700 m) - 6 hrs
- We begin a day with a climb towards Puiyan through Sherpa villages and woods, passing through a narrow canyon before arriving at Puiyan.
- Day 09 - Trek to Phakding (2,646 m) - 5 hrs
- This day we continue a climb from Puiyan to a ridge at 2,800 m before a gradual ascent to the final ridge, where we climb down to Surke following the trail towards Phakding.
- Day 10 - Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441 m) - 5.5 hrs
- We continue trekking along the banks of the Dudh Kosi, crossing this majestic river many times on exciting suspension bridges laden with prayer flags. After entering the Sagamartha National Park, the trail climbs steeply with breathtaking views. Namche Bazaar, known as the Gateway to Everest, is home to many quality restaurants, hotels, lodges, shops, money exchange, Internet cafes and a bakery. Namche is the largest village along the entire Everest trail.
- Day 11 - Namche Bazaar acclimatization day
- We spend a day in Namche Bazaar in order to acclimatize and adjust to the thinning air. We will trek a short distance to a museum that is celebrated for its exhibits of the traditional customs of the Sherpa people. We also hike up the Syangboche Airport near the Everest View Hotel. From this point, we can see rewarding views of the Himalayas with a stunning sunrise and sunset over the panorama of Khumbu peaks.
- Day 12 - Trek to Phorste Thanga (3,680 m) - 5 hrs
- The trail climbs steeply out of the valley through rhododendron forest, juniper and large conifers start to appear as the elevation increases making the trekking very pristine in springtime. The trail passes through Yak Kharkas and summer settlements. The views of Khumbi La and Tawache are magnificent throughout the day.
- Day 13 - Trek to Machherma (4,470 m) - 5 hrs
- We climb a ridge for an excellent view both down the valley to Kengtega and up towards Cho Oyu and descend to a river and again climbs steep to the terminal moraine of the Ngozumpz glacier. We will reach Machherma by early noon.
- Day 14 - Trek to Gokyo (4,790 m) - 5.5 hrs
- The trek today takes us at one of our main destinations, Gokyo (4,790 m). We will make this camp our base for 2 nights as we will do sightseeing and hiking trips around Gokyo.
- Day 15 - Trek to Gokyo Ri (5,483 m) and back to Gokyo - 5 hrs
- Early in the morning, we have a steep climb up to the top of Gokyo Ri at an elevation of 5,483 m. There are ample rewards for those who attempt this trip – you get stunning views of the super Gokyo valley, the massive Ngozumpa glacier and an incredible panoramic view of the whole Khumbu Himalayas, including the giants Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Makalu, Cho-Oyu and Gychung Kang. This day we have for acclimatization and after noon back to the camp.
- Day 16 - Trek to Thangna (4,500 m) - 4 hrs
- We trek to the foot of the Cho La Pass (5,300 m) for our overnight stay. Accomodation in Thangna will be very basic and in dormitory style room.
- Day 17 - Cross the Cho La Pass (5,300 m), then trek to Dzongla (4,710 m) - 7 hrs
- We start before sunrise at 4 or 5 am to reach the pass by 9 – 10 am to dodge bad weather conditions of the noontime. We cross over at an altitude of 5,300m where we could be exposed to strong winds if we crossing too late. We start to climb steeply that is regularly used and easy to follow. However, the problem may arise due to the altitude and snow. It often causes terrible problems to cross the pass if it is covered by snow. As you reach the top, you are rewarded by the magnificent views, then we descend to the Dzongla at noon. Accommodation in Dzongla will be very basic and in dormitory style room.
- Day 18- Trek to Lobuche (4,910 m ) - 4 hrs
- A rather easier and shorter trekking route will take us to Lobuche after 4 hours of trekking.
- Day 19 - Trek to Everest Base Camp (5,365 m) then back to Gorak Shep - 5.5 hrs
- This is difficult day walk along the Khumbu Glacier and up to Everest Base Camp at 5,365 m the closest you can get to Mt. Everest without mountaineering equipment. There will likely be a team there about to attempt the summit. The view of the Khumbu Icefall from Base Camp is spectacular. We return back to Gorak shep for the night.
- Day 20 - Hike up to Kala Patthar (5,555 m) early in the morning and trek down to Periche (4,200m) - 6 hrs
- This will be one of the most difficult yet rewarding days of the trek. Most of morning, in this day is spent climbing Mt. Kala Patthar, a small peak (by the Himalayan standards) at 5,555 m. The ascent is demanding but the climber gets the most magnificent mountain panorama: Everest, the highest point on the planet at 29,028ft (8,848 m), towers directly ahead and on all sides loom the other giants, Nuptse, Pumori, Chagatse, Lhotse and countless others. We make a quick descent to Gorak Shep, a tiny hamlet at 5,180 m then trek down to Pheriche.
- Day 21 - Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441 m) - 5.5 hrs
- From Pheriche we take a slightly different route down to Orsho then to Pangboche village. Here is the oldest monastery in the region which contains what is said to be the scalp and bones of a Yeti or abominable snowman. Leaving mountains behind us our descent takes us through the Tengboche Monastery at an elevation of 3,860 m before continuing back to Namche Bazaar. We arrive back to Namche Bazaar in the afternoon.
- Day 22 - Trek to Lukla (2,804 m) - 6 hrs
- Finally, we return to Lukla where we started our trek, which might seem like a lifetime ago. We’ll spend some time enjoying and reflecting on the trek as a group and the personal achievement of all those who took part. We also have some spare time to explore the town some more.
- Day 23 - Morning flight back to Kathmandu
- On your flight back to Kathmandu as you leave Lukla, you can enjoy some last-minute glimpses of the mountains you just recently visited. Upon arrival in Kathmandu, our airport representative will transfer you to your hotel from the airport.
- Day 24 - Transfer for your final flight departure
- The trip concludes – our airport representative will drop you to Kathmandu’s Tribhuwan International Airport for your flight departure from Nepal.